Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I had a fairly long post about day 2 of the election campaign that somehow got fried while I was spell-checking (ah the wonders of technonogy). So you'll have to make do with this much shorter post on a different topic.

While I agree reforms to our 'Justice' system are needed, creating an office to prosecute public officials is not what I have in mind...

Webster's killer freed, victim's family urged to 'move on'

I don't know what disgusts me more, the fact that two years behind bars can possibly be considered a just sentence for beating a man to death, or the spectacle of the judge who freed him lecturing the victim's family on the 'merits' of forgiveness. I realize that the judge was acting in accordance with the law when he took this action and I know nothing more of the judge involved. Perhaps it's possible that he has lost a close friend or family member to a senseless act of violence. Perhaps he has even been able to look the killer in the eye and forgive him/her, BUT EVEN IF HE HAS, he still has no right to tell the victim's family that it's time to "move on and forgive". That's an insult of the highest order and an unforgivable abuse of the authority which has been vested in him.

Less than five years after his death, Aaron Webster is apparently all but forgotten since according to Judge Romilly, "The sole preoccupation at this stage should be to help the youth, who committed a terrible offence, while still a youth." Pfagh!!!

How have we come to this???

2 Comments:

Blogger Allie Wojtaszek said...

Wow. I find sometime people don't realize how ignorant or unsensitive they are being.

As for the losing the posting thing, I hate it when that happens. Sometimes you can use the recover button at the top of the blogger posting page to get it back, but I have taken to cntrl alt all and copy through out my post, or writing it separatley in word...

9:23 p.m.  
Blogger Quynn said...

Actually it was transferring it from Word to Blogger that I lost it...

9:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home