Thursday, November 24, 2005

Yesterday, I received inspiration in the mail for a wonderful post for today, but in light of today's news out of Afghanistan, I've chosen to shelve it for a few days. Instead, I offer my condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of Private Braun Scott Woodfield, who died doing his duty to his country. My thoughts are also with Sgt. Tony Nelson McIver, Cpl. James Edward McDonald, Cpl. Shane Dean Jones, and Pte. Paul Shavo who were injured in the same incident. I wish them a swift recovery.

Indeed, it's important to remember that every day, tens of thousands of out fellow Canadians don their uniforms to serve their country and its ideals, sometimes in almost unimaginable circumstances. The many years of neglect and decay that our armed forces have suffered is not the fault of a single government, or even of a single political party. It's something we all need to take responsibility for, and act to correct at a time when our national politicians will (or should) be listening very closely to us.

Because one day, I would like to wholeheartedly agree with the Defence Department spokesman who said today that our troops were "brave, well-led, well-equipped and fully prepared for their mission." I'd really like not to have to roll my eyes at the last two adjectives...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home