Sunday, December 11, 2005

Getting in Under the Wire...

Well I can't complain about lack of things to blog about:

Such as Bill Clinton, preaching to the converted in Montreal on the impact of Climate Change and the need to implement Kyoto. I'd be more impressed if, when he was President, he could have convinced even one Democrat senator to vote to ratify after he signed the accord (the US Senate voted 95-0 to against Kyoto when Clinton was President) but that's OK because we can still blame George W. Bush instead.
I love this recent photo of Bill Clinton...














And I also can't complain that Paul Martin wasn't doing his bit to fight global warming by continuing to cool Canadian-US relations with his earnest lecture to the Bush administration on the need to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Considering the Kyoto-hating Bush administration has actually done a better job of limiting GHG emissions than the Kyoto-loving Liberal government of Canada, I can't help but sympathize with the Bush administration's decision to call Canadian Ambassador, Frank McKenna, on the carpet. I'd almost feel sorry for him; except the Canadian Embassy insists that Mr. McKenna asked for the meeting and that it was 'cordial'.

And then there's the endorsement of the NDP (particularly Vancouver-Centre candidate Svend Robinson), by Marc Emery, head of the BC Marijuana Party, who's facing extradition to the U.S. for selling pot over the Internet to U.S. citizens. Normally, I'm not sure if that kind of endorsement would be welcome, but Vancouver-Centre is an interesting riding. After all, they gave us Kim Campbell in 1988 and replaced her a few years later with current Liberal incumbent Hedy Fry (who saw the KKK burning crosses in Prince George something that both the media and Prince Georgers failed to notice). Mark Steyn has brilliantly characterized this as a race between "the incendiary promoter of bogus Klan scares, and Svend Robinson, the light-fingered gay." What a choice...

But the Laugh of the Week came when I stumbled across Anne McLellan's campaign office a few days ago. Now, as I know from experience, finding good space for an office that's accessible, affordable and located in the riding can be a challenge. But I can't help but break out in a serious case of the giggles when noting Anne's new office is right next door to a gay bath-house, and shares the same block with a gay video store, 2 gay bars, and a little shop called 'B&D Emporium' (trust me, if you don't know what 'B&D' stands for, you're probably happier remaining in ignorance). Since the space was the former corporate office for McDonalds, I can’t help but wonder if there’s some kind of weird metaphor for the Liberal party in all of this, but whenever I start to formulate it, I begin laughing again (I also can’t help but imagine the reaction I would have faced in proposing this space to any of the candidates I ever worked for…)

3 Comments:

Blogger Allie Wojtaszek said...

What is he wearing - and did he become Pope?

1:31 p.m.  
Blogger Quynn said...

No, no, Palpatine is Pope... remember?

As for Bill, he's wearing the costume of a 'Napoleonic military hero' at a fancy dress ball held in St. Petersburg, Russia last month. Photo courtesy of London's Sunday Mail Unfortunately, the photo does not clearly show his secret service men who were reportedly dressed up as cossacks...

1:43 p.m.  
Blogger Allie Wojtaszek said...

Cossacks heh? I could have stood to see me some of that. :-)

2:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home